29 March, 2010

Becoming a Teacher.

Well, it's been a really long week but here I am, all moved into my new apartment in Niigata. It's been a bit crazy so I'll try and hit the main points of the past week or so.

Tuesday through Friday we had training from 8am to about 5 or 6pm, with an hour break for lunch in the restaurants at the hotel. The lessons and the games and ideas they gave us were fantastic and the trainers are all extremely helpful. We also had a health check on Thursday afternoon, which was interesting. I had to submit a urine test, and then there was a vision test, blood test, chest X-ray, and EKG. A bit random, but we've only got to have it done every two years, so that's over with for now. All of the Japanese doctors were incredibly nice and friendly, which is also encouraging, should I become sick while I'm here. (And I'm sure I will at some point--I'm working with kids, after all!) The X-ray was taken in a van that had pulled up in front of the hotel. It had a sealable room at the back and we went in one at a time, they took the X-ray, and that was it. Very efficient.

On Friday, I found out my school schedule for the year (what schools I'll be at on which days, as well as vacation times) and maps of the area around my apartment. I'll be teaching at four schools and they're all elementary, which I find fantastic! I had rather wanted to teach younger kids anyway, and apparently I'm not allowed to write on the board because they don't start learning to read English until Junior High so I'll be drawing pictures only, and mostly playing lots of games, from the sound of it. Where Junior High is oftentimes team teaching with both the ALT and the Japanese Teacher of English in the classroom cooperating (of course, level of cooperation depends on the teacher), Elementary seems to be mostly on my shoulders, and to be honest that works just fine for me.

I also found out that I won't be driving after all, which I think is good, as it's just one extra expense. And all four of my schools are within walking/biking/train distance of my apartment, which is fantastic. Speaking of trains, I'm about four blocks away from the closest station! Very convenient. I'm also within VERY manageable walking distance of the closest supermarket, which is enormous! I've been twice now and still haven't seen all of it, but I did get stocked up with the basics for cooking, including some rice that was grown in my prefecture: we're supposed to have some of the best rice in Japan, so I'm anxious to try it.

But I'm getting ahead of myself! On Saturday, all of the Interac ALTs in my area got up, had breakfast, and met in the lobby at 6:30am. Our luggage had been shipped out the day before. Because Japanese use public transit, and even when they don't, because their cars are so small, oftentimes when traveling or moving they will use domestic shipping companies to move suitcases and the like to their apartment or the airport or wherever. It's very safe, inexpensive, convenient, and reliable, as well as fast--my suitcase was sent Friday evening and I received it yesterday (Sunday) morning.

Anyway, after everyone gathered at the hotel, we hopped on a shuttle to the airport, which was only about 20 minutes away. From there we caught a train into Tokyo (Ueno), and then those of us going to Niigata (I traveled with four others) hopped on a bullet train and headed north. Most of the train ride was in tunnels, because shortly outside of Tokyo, the Japan Alps start making an appearance. There's one tunnel that is quite fantastic to ride through, as when you enter, everything on the Tokyo side is still a bit green and brown because Tokyo's winters typically aren't that harsh. On the other side of the tunnel, however, immediately everything is suddenly white with snow. It's sort of like going into a tunnel in Huntsville and emerging in the midst of the Rockies. The mountains are enormous and so close and just beautiful. The trees are all dusted with snow and you wonder if the little towns and villages off in the distance on the base of these incredible peaks are ski towns. It's certainly possible, since Niigata is said to have some of the best skiing in Japan. It's because of the powder, apparently--people travel from all over the world to ski here.

When we got to Niigata station, it was snowing. We headed off the platform and went downstairs into the station and met our contacts from Interac. The company has hired independent contractors (ICs) who speak English to help us get settled and set up cell phones, bank accounts, and get our alien registration cards (think green card). My IC is Yamaga-san, and she's 25 and teaches English at a local cram school. She's been fantastic! She took me all around and got my apartment key, and apparently had already had the water and electric turned on, and the guy who turned on the gas got there shortly after we did, so she definitely hooked me up. Then we got my list and went out shopping. My apartment is furnished (washing machine, loft bed, lots of shelving, and so on) but I needed a futon, and blankets and a pillow, as well as preliminary food. Yamaga-san took me to what seems to be the Japanese equivalent of Ikea, as well as a hundred yen store (like a dollar store but with quality). I was able to get kitchen supplies and all the stuff I needed for my bedroom (which, amusingly, is also my dining room and living room). By the time we got to the grocery store it was rather late, so I was able to get the things I needed for breakfast and then we headed home.

Home. Sounds odd to associate it with a place in Japan but it also feels like I've been living here for years. All that's left now is to get my official documents sorted and meet the principals of my schools while it's still spring break, and figure out lesson plans for the first week. I know teaching is going to be a bit daunting until I get into the swing of things, but if my past jobs are any indicator, hopefully I'll have relaxed a bit more after the first few weeks. I kept seeing kids in the grocery store last night and wondering, "maybe I'll be teaching you next week!" It's an exciting thought. I want so badly to make English as fun and exciting for them as Japanese has been for me. I've been really fortunate throughout my life to have understanding and inspiring teachers and I can only hope that I can do the same for these kids, whether English becomes their favorite subject or not.

Anyway, as scattered as I'm sure this seems, I think I'm going to leave it here and finish getting ready. Yamaga-san is picking me up in a bit for more errands! If any of you have skype, feel free to add me and chat me up if I'm on! You can search for me by my email ( thestacymiller@gmail.com ). Thinking of you all often!

P.S. IT JUST STARTED SNOWING AGAIN!! The flakes are HUGE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment