10 March, 2010

Countdown

Hey all!

Well it's been a little while since the last update so I thought I'd let you know where things stand now. It is Wednesday morning and there are 11 days left until I leave.

I've been working on things here and there to get ready. Since I'll be driving over there, I had to get my driver's license transferred to an Alabama license and get an international driving permit. I've also been filling out health forms and other documentation for Interac that I'll need once I'm over there.

I got the contact information for my predecessor over in Niigata last night too, so I sent him an email to see if he had any information about where I'll be and the schools I'll be in and that sort of thing.

Other than that, I'm just trying to stock up on clothes and other things that I'll need once I'm over there. My friends and family both here and overseas have been invaluable with helping me acquire the essentials I'll need to pack. It's quite a lot to think about: Imagine moving somewhere for several years and only being able to take a suitcase and a carryon. I know I'll be able to get some things in Japan--but trying to keep straight everything that I'll need to bring with me and keep track of what I need to pick up when I get there is a bit mind-boggling.

Also, for those of you who'd like to keep in touch while I'm overseas, there are a few ways to do this. One of the easiest ways will be email (those of you who know me well know that I love to write!). This is the best address at which to reach me: thestacymiller@gmail.com

If you have a hankering to hear my dulcet tones, Skype is also an option. Skype is a fantastic free program available for download from Skype.com. It's fairly simple to install and set up an username and password, and then you can add me by searching for my email (above). You can use Skype to chat with me as a regular instant messaging program, or, if you have a microphone for the computer, you can voice chat, like a phone call.

Well, I think that's about it for news for now... I'll probably have another update or two before I leave, and then I'll have to wait until I can find internet access over there. As always, thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. WTB Dulcet tones please. Also don`t forget you can get a super-cheap plug-and-play webcam! You can set Skype so it doesn`t automatically start the video feed when the phone call starts (so you can call right after your shower with impunity!). In the winter months when I am more likely to be wearing clothes I video chat with my parents :D

    Which reminds me you will want a fan going into the summer months. Unless you have the good fortune of an apartment that is conducive to AC.

    ReplyDelete